CorePro Insurance // August 31, 2016
Make sure your practice is prepared in the event of a storm. The best time to think about safety and preparation is before hurricane season begins and to plan ahead.
Here are three tips in order to plan prior to hurricane season:
- Review your insurance coverage with your CorePRO Insurance Agent. Make sure to have all of your updated contact information on file.
- Create a communication plan with your employees, including pre-arranged meeting points in case of telephone or cell phone outages.
- Take photos or videos of your building or office – inside and outside – before a hurricane. Keep these in your records.
In the event of a storm be sure to follow these four protocols:
- Create an employee phone tree with up- to date information as well as a communication plan for once the storm passes.
- Back up all files on an external hard drive and store off of the business premises. Be sure to turn off and unplug all computers, lamps, radios, and medical equipment.
- Record a special voice mail containing your phone and/or pager number(s) so employees and patients can reach you in the event of an emergency. You may also want to update your social media pages or website if applicable.
- There is no harm in being too cautious therefore be sure to close your offices in sufficient time to allow employees to secure their homes, obtain supplies and evacuate if necessary.
After the storm hits you can apply these three measures to reduce risk of injury and damages:
- Be patient. The safety of your family and home should be your top priority. Do not return to your workplace until it’s safe to travel and roadways are cleared.
- Take inventory to determine and record losses (documents, equipment, etc.).
- Once again, take photos or videos of your building or office – inside and outside – after a hurricane occurs. File a claim directly with your carrier.
It is important to stay safe before, during and after the storm occurs. CorePro Insurance is here to help with all of your insurance needs for your medical office or building. Contact us today to discuss insurance solutions that fit your practice.